Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Learning happens all the time....even at 4:30 am!

Light loves space. Everything about it, including our very own moon. Well, yesterday he found out about the lunar eclipse was going to happen this morning. He let me know that he didn't care how early it was, or how tired I was, he wanted to see it! So, as dad was leaving for work (yep, he gets up early) he woke me at 4:30 to let me know the sky was perfectly clear and we would be able to see the total lunar eclipse. I REALLY wanted to keep sleeping (I really LIKE my sleep!), but I knew Light would be so disappointed if we didn't get up. As soon as I whispered to him that the eclipse would be starting soon, he popped out of bed faster than if it was Christmas! He couldn't have been more excited! We took our bean bag chair out to the yard with blankets and camped out to watch the spectacle! It was really cool to see! Light kept saying, "I can't believe it. This has got to be the coolest thing ever." "Mom, you don't understand, this is like a once in a lifetime chance. I mean it!" He was right.... this was the longest lunar eclipse in 7 years, about an hour and a half of total shadow, and the chance to be up and not have a cloud in the sky........priceless! One of the many joys and perks of homeschooling; you can get up in the middle of the night to see a lunar eclipse, then go back to bed and not worry about school buses or schedules! Learning is 24/7 around here! I love it! Enjoy the pictures I took, so if YOU happened to be sleeping, you won't have missed it completely!











Why does the moon look red during a lunar eclipse?
Astronomy.com has the answer.

Don't want to miss the next one? Want to know more about lunar eclipses?
Check out NASA's Lunar Eclipse site.

2 comments:

My two kids said...

Lori,

I learned about your blog from your post at the DITD parents' elist. I have my tow YSs (DD10 & DS7) joined in a few months ago.

I LOVE the pictures (Did you take those yourself? They looked so professional and PERFECT timing)!

I also enjoy reading about your son and really appreciate the links you put out that I didn't know about.

Please keep up with what you did - I know I am very much inspired:-)

Robin said...

Lori -

Thanks for the permission to link. I just added a short reference from my Mid-Autumn Festival blog at http://mid-autumn-fest.blogspot.com/. The next one is Sept. 25th.